Blackbird: an online journal of literature and the arts
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Please read the following guidelines before you submit. We also recommend you read previous issues as a guide to the quality of work that is of interest to us.
- Blackbird does not accept previously published work.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable so long as they are indicated as such and we are immediately notified upon acceptance elsewhere. To withdraw individual poems from a submission, please send a message in Submittable notifying us of the poems that are no longer available.
- Translations are welcome so long as permissions have been obtained from the author.
- We are able to publish long works in all genres, but query Blackbird before you send a prose piece over 8,000 words, a poem exceeding 10 pages, or a full-length play.
- Please submit a cover letter, either in the box provided or as the first page of your submission; if you have previously published with Blackbird or received encouragement on a previous submission, please include that information as well.
Poetry: Send up to six poems at a time, but no less than two poems. Set your poem as you want it to appear on the printed page. Submit all poems as a single document.
Fiction: Double-space, please. We primarily look for short stories, but novel excerpts are acceptable if self-contained.
Nonfiction: Double-space, please. We primarily look for personal essays, but memoir excerpts are acceptable if self-contained. Unsolicited book reviews and criticism are not considered.
Gallery: Plays are accepted. We do not accept unsolicited visual art work, but if you produce video essays, please query us about your work.
Expect six months for a decision, longer if you submit just before the summer break. Do not query until at least six months have passed.
If you are a currently-enrolled student, please email email@example.com for a link to a waived-fee submission form.